Tick Fever

| |


4/5/2010 (Tue) - Nicole felt lethargic after a shower. The next morning, my maid told me she was not her usual self after her walk. Immediately, we brought her to Mt Pleasant Clinic for a checkup. She was not having a fever but her tongue is very pale.
Dr Kasey Tan, her usual vet was not on duty on that day but they reassured me that Dr Koh Jun Jia is equally good. She explained everything to me and why a blood test is justified. We waited past 2pm for the blood test result. At 2pm, it is confirmed that she has tick fever (infected by babesia). Her result are :-
HCT 23.1% Low (37.0 - 55.0)
HGB 7.4g/dl Low (12.0 - 18.0)
PLT 110K/ml Low (175 - 500)
She was given Prednisolone 5mg tab, Luckyhepa/Hepavite capsule and Vibravet Anti biotic 50mg tab. She will be due to go back for a follow up 3 days later (22/5/2010, Sat). However, Dr Koh was worried that her HCT may drop below 20 and she might collapse and asked to standby some big dogs of 20kg to donate blood to her if needed. My mind was blank. My daughter's life is at stake and where do I find big dogs!
I broke the news to my sister. I know she will freak out and she was even naive enough to standby her 3 malteses for Nicole. I contacted Nicole's groomer to help and they are really concern. I called my cousin who has a golden retriever and she has since agreed to standby her dog for Nicole.
My sister posted in STOMP and ended up having mixed responses like some genuine well wishers who sincerely wanted to pledge their precious dogs to help Nicole and some unkind remarks too. The unkind remarks really affected her so much. Nevertheless, I'm not angry by those unkind remarks but really touch by those who cares for a dog's life! I am really thankful!
As at today, Nicole is still doing fine. She could eat and take a short walk (mommy make sure she dun take her usual long walk cos I am afraid of tiring her). Mommy has prepared an extra meal of liver, beef or salmon for her and she still could finish it. I just pray hard that she doesn't need to activate her backups for blood and she will get well soon.
For now, I just carry a copy of her blood test result and a list of medication she is taking in my wallet cos I'm really paranoid. I am so worry that I might have to rush her to hospital suddenly. I even set Mt Pleasant Hospital in my GPS. I just wish I dun need it!
Nicole, mommy loves you so much. Please be strong!

1 You Bark here:

farmwaylove@gmail.com said...

Hi there,

Do give Nicole some raw beef or mutton to boost her blood count. Barf diet is good for dogs in moderation and be prepare for the first few feeds she might experience diarrhoe of which is perfectly normal. The raw beef or mutton can be mixed with her normal food- as a guide raw food it's always best to feed it while it's still frozen if not bacteria would get to it. No worries about ur dog getting frozen food as it's perfectly fine.

I'm writing from my experience with a dogs shelter and our dogs had experienced tick fever before and their platelet count had even dropped to zero which was very critical. Doctor from ARC Balestier gave us the advice above and our dogs had since then recovered.

Good luck. :)